Skip to main content

Subject files, 1899 - 1975

 Series
Identifier: S3

Scope and Contents

These files consist of assorted materials regarding the Union Biblical Institute and the Evangelical Theological Seminary. Few of the files contain original materials, the majority being duplicate mass distributions. Included in the series are varied commencement programs, one annual report, directories, and pamphlets. Original material includes a cash register book and a volume containing both class minutes (1903-1913) and later library circulation records (1934-1954).

Dates

  • 1899 - 1975

Biographical / Historical

The Evangelical Theological Seminary was incorporated in 1873 as the Union Biblical Institute and housed in rented space in North Central College’s Old Main Building. It was the first formal institution for training ministers in the Evangelical Association. In 1908, the Institute purchased its own land and building and, in 1909, changed its name to the Evangelical Theological Seminary. It was the only seminary of the Evangelical Association prior to its merger in 1946 that formed the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Following the merger that formed the United Methodist Church in 1968, the Evangelical Theological Seminary was merged with Garrett Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois and relocated to that campus in 1974.

Extent

.42 Linear Feet (1 manuscript, legal-sized box)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Alphabetical

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The materials in this series likely came to be part of the College Archives due to the College’s proximity to the Seminary and the shared library facilities.

Processing Information

The base collection of the College Archives had no inherent order. The Archives created this series out of the base collection in 1999.

Repository Details

Part of the North Central College Archives Repository

Contact:
North Central College
Oesterle Library
320 S. School Street
Naperville IL 60540 USA
6306375714